I finished a book this morning that I wanted to recommend to any other stay-at-home moms (SAHM) reading this. SAHM I Am by Meredith Efken. It's funny and encouraging and entirely made up of emails. Seriously, all emails! That was what intrigued me to read it. I was curious how that worked and I thought it was a clever way to write a book about different women in different walks of life."She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27
That Bible verse was part of the email signature for one of the characters in the book. So it came up time and time again. And what was I doing each time I saw it? Leisurely reading a book instead of taking care of the household. Very annoying and convicting. (Although this is very much an ENCOURAGING book, not a preachy book.)
Here is how my SAHM day has gone so far. Moriah woke me up early but I thought, "hey, maybe I can get this book finished before the boys wake up." I really thought I was near the end, but I must be slow reader because I did not finish it until nearly 11:00. Granted there were breaks to feed children breakfast, referee disputs over who gets to control the mouse on the computer, change diapers on both a baby and a toddler, and other such urgent matters. And although I folded laundry while reading and also nursed the baby while reading, I really was "eating the bread of idleness".
But finally the book was done and my children had my undivided attention. Wait, they were still in their pj's? And so was I?! Goodness, where does the time go.
Once we were all dressed and sparkly, we decided to head down for some lunch. Matt was very excited, skipped out of his bedroom, and fell down the stairs! Seriously. I was walking out of the room holding the baby when I saw him tumble, land on his back and bang his head on the floor with a thump. That sight stops a mother's heart. He was fine, but I had to hold him for a long time before I was convinced. (By the way, it's only a half flight of stairs so it's not as bad as it might sound.)
After lunch we decided to make some cookies, thanks to this SAHM I Am book, which has a picture of a mom holding a tray of cookies. JD was browsing the Mrs Field's cookie book while I was changing Moriah's diaper. It turned out to be more than I had bargained for and I needed baby wipes, quickly! I tried first to get Matt to help me, but really he is only 2 so I'm not sure why I even asked. JD is usually helpful, slow as molasses, but eventually helpful. I asked him to go get me the baby wipes, but he kept turning pages. "Really, JD, you need to help me!" Still he was turning pages. Moriah was squirming, I was getting anxious and finally JD noticed my dilemma. The sweet boy was trying to hurry but alas, his foot slipped and he flipped off of his chair, falling on the kitchen floor with a bang.
He too is fine, but my heart can only take so much in one day. Let's hope the evening goes better and that the landlords don't notice the yellow poop stain on their kitchen floor.


No comments:
Post a Comment