Thursday, September 28, 2006

Little conversations

We have many little conversations around this house. JD can very nearly talk non-stop, but he is quickly having to learn to let the other little ones have a voice. Here are some recent conversations.

-------

I was holding Matt as we walked across the street in Virginia. It was windy and my hair was all over my face, which really bothered Matt. As he is trying so hard to swish it back into place, he says, "You look like alien!"

Why, that's just the nicest compliment I've had in awhile!

"Look eagle!" he says next, spotting a seagull flying overhead.

"ABC's!" spotting the sign for the museum we were visiting.

"I want walk through that." spotting the barriers set up to steer traffic away from the construction.

"Look! look! water!" spotting the fountain at the museum entrance.

He doesn't miss a thing...

-------

"Dabadabadaba" says Moriah.

Am I suppose to understand that?

"DABADABADABA!!"

Apparently so.

-------

"Matt, look at the square rocks," says Lane.

"No, those aren't rocks. Those are stepping stones," JD butts in. He is quite the expert these days.

-------

Moriah has one sign that she uses for "water", "more", and just about anytime she wants something. We are never quite sure what she is trying to communicate but she really wants to communicate.

The other day at a restaurant she kept using this sign. We tried water. She shakes her head. We tried crackers. She shakes her head. We tried distracting her, hoping the food will show up soon. She begins to cry.

The food arrives and we try every option that she can eat. Still she shakes her head and cries.

Finally I whisk her away to the restroom, partly because her diaper is quite wet and partly because I just needed to get away from the staring eyes around us. After a fresh diaper, she is happy as a lark and eats everything that we offer.

Now we are working on a new sign for "diaper change".

-------

"I fell off couch. Small couch," Matt whines to me.

"I'm sorry," I reply.

"No, it wasn't you. It was me."

-------

And I cannot remember the exact words JD used but several times over the weekend Lane would marvel at his increasing vocabulary, saying "I don't think most 4 year olds talk like that."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! Kids do say the darndest things, no??? When are you guys coming up again???

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I really wish we were having actual conversations too. Ours still consist of baby babble with the occasional english word thrown in. =) I'm still being called Daddy!!

It sounds like you have a busy, busy household!!

Catherine Heyres said...

Hi Joy! How cool that you saw our blog! Yes, I see Kristen often, because Wernher and Josh work in the same command(NAVFAC). Is Dude still in grad school? Oh, and yes we did eat dried squid!
God bless,
Cathy Heyres