We did get out and do a few fun things as well. After all, "all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy", right? We think so.
Our adventurous and oh so cool friends, Kenny & Jen, have influenced us. They play a fun little game called geocaching. We were intrigued and curious about doing something fun like that. As Lane researched it, he found out about letterboxing. Please click the links to learn more. I don't want to bore you with all the details of how the games work. Basically, it's a bit like a treasure hunt that we thought would be fun for the whole family, including our Dixie dog.
Our first try was down south of us in Atlantic Beach. We walked through the heavy foliage, full of poison ivy, big spiders, and tons of bugs. It was pretty but actually wasn't very enjoyable because of the buggy bugs. Lane and JD say that insect repellent is suppose to make us invincible, but I think someone forgot to tell the insects. Dixie had a good time at least. She loves to get out and smell new trails. Anyhow, we followed the clues and found the mystery brick under the bench. I was so excited when we saw the brick...

...but, alas, there was no letterbox. Rather disappointing...
We were not to be discouraged and gave it another try a couple days later. This time we went up north to New Bern. The clues drove us right to the edge of a creek. We could see the parking lot and trail on the other side that we were suppose to be going to. Huh? Why is there all this water in the way?! There was a road buried under there but the creek had overflowed, thanks to Ernesto. Lane was quite disappointed that we hadn't brought the Jeep. Taking the mini-van through it didn't seem quite so cool. So we waded through it instead!

And we did find the letterbox this time! It was a lot of fun for all of us, just wished we had brought Dixie along too. She would of loved splashing in the water with us.

Many more letterboxing adventures await, so stay tuned.
P.S. Since I noticed that Jess' Show Me Yours topic this week is "weekends", and since this is already written, I'll play along. The best weekend for us has a little work, a lot of fun, a rejuvenating time at church, yummy eating out, and a bit of relaxation. Check out O Mama Mia each Monday for Show Me Yours fun.


3 comments:
Oh, those games sound like so much fun!! I'm so glad that you all are adjusting (quite well, I might add) to life in N. Carolina. Great pictures!!
Yeah! We inspired you to go geocaching/ letterboxing! I am so excited. It gets very addicting so be careful!
There aren’t really any letterboxes left out here. We have only found one :( Can we come and visit and do some more???
We actually did 2 geocaches last night and about 10+ this weekend. Kenny is trying to get more finds than his brother :)
Do you have a geocaching.com profile?
That sounds so fun! I'm going to have to check out those links when I have time...I've been so busy that I am behind on reading all my blogs and I feel kind of out of touch!
Post a Comment