It's a good home. The perfect home for her, really. She'll have another beagle as a playmate. The family is expecting their first baby in the Fall. They live around the corner so we'll be able to visit Dixie. And since they already have a beagle, they know, they just know.
So I am very happy about it, excited for her even, but also a bit sad.
I will not sugar coat dog ownership or, at least, beagle ownership. She is a high maintenance dog.
She has torn to shreds things that I and/or the children hold dear (though this has encouraged all of us to put things away).
She eats food directly out of a child's hands or off the table (again this has encouraged the children to not get up from the table during meals and to push their chairs in when done).
She often shoots off after a squirrel while we are walking, feeling like she's pulling my arm out of socket and often clothes-lining a child with her leash ("burn leash" is what Matt calls that and his neck just recently healed from some).
She barks and barks often, especially at those menancing squirrels, which is especially hard to take late at night as we are trying to go to sleep (I suppose we should feel safe, at least from intruding squirrels).
Nonetheless, she is as sweet as sweet can be.
She is great with the children (Moriah bugs her the most and Dixie takes it in stride).
She loves to walk and explore (and so do we!).
She loves to play (the way she flings bits of bone in the air and tries to catch them cracks us up).
She loves to cuddle (she's a very social dog and we have a hard time keeping her off the couch to cuddle with us).
She is just very sweet. I will miss her, very much. So, too, will the children.

Moriah loves to "walk Dix"

Matt & Dixie napping together

JD hugging Dixie
Farewell, our little Dixie girl!


2 comments:
Those are sweet pictures. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you to keep her but it does sound like she's going to a great home! And how great to know you can visit her! As a kid I always had pets, but as a mom now I don't want any animals because I know I'll have to take care of them!
Oh I completely understand about the dog-thing. They really are a TON of work, even the easy ones. Sometimes it's best for all concerned when a better home is found. =) I'm sorry that you'll be missing her though, it's a hard thing to say good-bye.
Post a Comment