Sunday, June 24, 2007

Could of been a good movie?

I was reading a movie review about Surf’s Up at PluggedInOnline (they have great, thorough movie reviews, by the way) and it said this at the end:

…as if the writers got done with a pretty terrific story, sat down and said, "OK, now let's go back and put in the yuck jokes and maybe a sex gag or two to spice this thing up a bit. After all, the kids'll hate this flick if we don't."

It makes me wish that they'd had enough faith in their film's core message that they could actually believe in it themselves.


That sums up how I feel about many movies, especially the kid ones – a great story tainted with a lot of unnecessary potty and adult humor. I suppose the adult humor is over my young children’s heads, but it’s still just not right to put that in a kid’s movie. Besides I have one of those very analytical children who will ask 20+ questions about every detail of a movie. And I am willing to discuss anything with him, but must I really engage in a conversation about why Pinnochio was wearing thong underwear in Shrek 2? I think not.

JD’s solution is that when he grows up and finishes being an astronaut, he’ll work for the company that makes Shrek and make better movies for kids. It’s a great goal.

3 comments:

Christy said...

That's so cute that he wants to do that when he's finished being an astronaut!

I have the same problem with movies, although most kids movies also contain scary parts that Chloe still can't handle, so we just avoid them altogether. The questions last for weeks after a movie, though!

Sheree said...

wow! I sure hope he does that!

Jen Rouse said...

I totally, completely agree. I really hope he does that!