Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Childhood Memories

I often wonder what memories my children will carry into their adulthood. It seems unfortunate to me that many of these young childhood experiences that I enjoy every day will not be remembered later by my kids. (Or likely by me, so that’s why I write it here!)

What makes a moment of childhood memorable? An extreme emotion, like happiness or sadness?

The earliest memories for me involve tragedy – the death of my first puppy and the fear of falling down stairs. As far as I know both of those occurred in the first house I lived in, which we moved from when I was two years old.

Moriah almost daily tells us about a balloon she had about two months ago. “I want my yellow balloon. I let it go!” She was quite distraught to see that balloon disappear into the sky. That’s a sad memory for her.

Matt has been asking when we can go stay in a hotel. He wants to go to the hotel where we watched the Scooby Doo cartoon with the giant statue that chased Scooby. I’m not sure if that’s a scary memory or a happy one for him. Must be happy if he wants to repeat it, but I don’t have a clue what hotel he’s talking about. (Though after Scooby cartoons scared the begeebers out of JD some time ago, they’ve been banned. Sorry Scoob.)

JD said he remembers going to the Smoky Mountains and catching a grasshopper. He said that’s where I started saying “Patience Grasshopper” (I say that?) I’m taking that as a happy memory.

What early childhood memories do you have?

2 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh, I stepped on glass and my father had to get the piece of glass out. I remember howling and screaming and getting punished...oh it was terrible.

Of course, I have lots of fun memories too of pool parties, playing outside, camping...

Christy said...

I remember having hamsters. Those are good and bad memories since I loved one of them but the other turned out to be mean (and pregnant) and ate her babies! ICK!