Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Final Countdown

We have kept a Daddy Candy jar to give a visual for the kids on when Daddy comes home. I've pointed out a time or two in the last few weeks about how little candy there is left and how soon that means Daddy will be home.

But "soon" is a slippery thing to a child. Soon means like 5 seconds. So we didn't start an official countdown until they could count the days on one hand.

-----------------------------------

"Moriah, can you count to 4?" I asked this morning.

"1-2-3-4-5-6" she replied.

Close enough. "Very good! Daddy will be home in 4 days!"

-----------------------------------

"It's broken," Moriah said later about a toy.

"Yes it is. Maybe Daddy can fix it when he gets home. Daddy is good at fixing things."

She had a long thoughtful silence.

"He'll find me in a few minutes," she finally said.

"No, honey, not today. Four more days. You need to sleep four more times and have four more wake-ups, then Daddy will be home."

-----------------------------------

"Is that Daddy on the stairs?" she asks a short time later.

"No, honey, that's Aunt Sis."

-----------------------------------

Then she was talking on the "phone", presumably to Daddy, and said "Two more days and you put my baby in the swing. Okay?"

-----------------------------------

Poor thing. It may be a long four days for her. For us all.

3 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

Still, how exciting that it will be so soon!

Michelle said...

Oh I can't believe you're down to 4 more days/sleeps :) Yay! It's so close now, but I can remember how that last week did seem to drag on too LOL Can't wait to hear about the reunion!

Leanne said...

Oh Yeah!!!
4 more days....
I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see pictures!!!!!!!!