My least favorite has been the snakes. I shudder just thinking about them. It wouldn't be so bad if they were harmless snakes, but we have several poisonous kinds roaming around our neighborhood. So far we've found two in the neighbor's yard, and I've nearly stepped on one when we were out walking the dog. I walk very cautiously now!
There's a drainage ditch in the front of our house with a small culvert that goes under the driveway. On of our first few days here, Matt was down checking out the culvert and kept saying "Who are those guys?" When Lane got to him, Matt was just poking his finger into a wasp's nest! He grabbed the boy and hightailed it out of there, only to come back later with strong poison to get rid of "those guys".
Of course, we all know how JD is enamored with bugs. We have bug houses, tupperware, plastic bottles, anything and everything filled with bugs. He has trained me well. I do not squirm as I used to but I can only go so far. Those really BIG bugs are too much for me! Like the BIG cicadas and BIG beetles and BIG cockroaches. Yuck! And now he has contracted poison ivy on his hand, which we are sure came from some really interesting bug on that plant that he just had to grab. Now he carries around a stick to use for counting the leaves on the plant ("leaves of three let it be") before he can touch it.
Well now that I got the unpleasant ones out of the way, let's talk about some really cool animals that we have seen. We rescued a turtle on the road to our house. The boys begged to keep him as pet. No, we released him and talked about how we were rescuing him just like Diego. They didn't want to be like Diego. They wanted a new pet.

Almost daily they find frogs they want to also keep as a pet. We had one really cool big one that lived in the tree beside our house. They enjoyed going out there each day to find him and play with him. But I think he got smart and moved to a calmer home. JD & Lane also found a sticky tree frog on our front door. We had to keep that one for a couple days in the bug house. He was so fun to check out!

There's a lot of lizards here too. JD seems to catch them every day. Really little ones. They are quite cute. He found one at the NC Aquarium and was really upset that we wouldn't let him catch it and take it home. He says when he grows up he'll have an aquarium where people can hold the sharks and take home anything they want to. Both Matt & JD really loved the aquarium. They spent a loooong time petting the sting rays and holding the spider crabs. They love all that hands on stuff. And Grandma got them an annual membership so I'm sure we will be back often.


4 comments:
How fun! Our kids love finding frogs in our backyard, too, but so far I haven't let them pick them up. I'm afraid they're going to hurt the frogs! We also get to see squirrels and rabbits every day. We haven't seen any snakes in this house yet, but they are around. And how do we get bugs so big that they trigger our motion-sensitive lights? That's just scary!
I see what I have to look forward to! eww..good thing Daddy is available. The pictures are adorable!
Love,
Leanne
Oh... my! That is hilarious! I don't know what I'll do if this one turns out to be a boy. =) Getting advice from other fellow moms of boys, I'm sure!
You. are. brave. I would DIE! We have this HUGE ginormous spider around our front porch that has yellow & black banded legs & is easily the size of a Susan B Anthny. I freak out constantly, not even knowing if its poisonous or not. Please bring JD to take it home with you. If you don't come, I'm sending it home with Dude.
Post a Comment