Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thank God for my Mom

My mother, the traveler. My mom came to visit and help us get settled in our new home. We are so grateful that she is willing to travel all the way across the states to assist us. Her first time to North Carolina and unfortunately she had to arrive during an awful heat wave. But she was game for the adventure anyway.

My mother, the interior designer. She has an incredible gift at making a house look like a home. She helped me think through the colors and ideas that I had rolling around in my head. She hung curtains, pictures, and decorations that help us feel more at home. In fact, I think I have used her creativity in each of our homes. Let’s see that has been 5 homes so far… not bad, 7 years, 5 moves…

My mother, the excellent cook. When mom arrived I gave her two requests for things to cook: sloppy joes and bran muffins. I really could have given her a much longer list but these are two of my favorites from childhood. Every morning we woke to wonderful bran muffins baking in the oven. Wow, was that awesome. On the last day, we were going to take a break, thinking the kids were getting tired of the same breakfast, but all three (yes, even Moriah) started begging for the melt-in-your mouth bran muffins. As you can see from this picture, the boys are eagerly watching them cook.

My mother, the servant. Washing dishes, doing laundry, walking dog, bathing children, changing diapers, entertaining children, she did it all. I was so spoiled having her help me out with these things. It freed me up to get several things done on my endless To Do list.

My mother, the generous spirit. She is brimming with generosity and loves to share with us. She caught my vision for decorating Moriah’s room and bought her several new things. It’s so exciting to make Moriah’s room cute and girly and furniture shopping with my Mom was so special to me. She also treated us to several dinners out, which I really, really enjoy. I’m a bit spoiled with that – when someone else cooks and cleans, goodness, am I in heaven.

My mother, I miss her already!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Proverbs woman. What a blessing..

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have your mom there to help so much! And I bet the kids loved the attention from Grandma, too.

Anonymous said...

We are blessed with such a wonderful mother.