Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A good day?

Yesterday was a good day.

A day where I had a list of accomplishments.
  • I read several gazillion books with the children.

  • The children "swabbed the deck" and had a great time, though I'm not sure the floor was much cleaner, just very wet.

  • We pulled out the instruments and had a fun music time.

  • We did an art project, which is huge for me - most kiddy art times take me to the edge of my sanity, searching the pantry for any and all chocolate to calm my nerves.

  • I vacuumed all the rugs downstairs, with the exception of the one Matt was standing on when he forgot he was wearing big boy undies and not a diaper.

  • I successfully ran an errand with the three kids in tow and had fun playing at the park afterwards.

  • We walked the dog, which is becoming increasingly more challenging as the thick clouds of mosquitos are leaving their marks all over us whenever we take our evening walks.

  • And we received eight boxes in the mail.

All in one day!

I should be ecstatic. I should feel satisfied in a job well done.

But I cannot. I cannot get past the things that cause me to be less than wonderful at this mommy-ing job.
  • I know I can’t be perfect but shouldn’t I at least brush their teeth?

  • Except for the scrambled eggs at breakfast, I filled them with canned, frozen and otherwise processed food.

  • My sink and kitchen counter overflowed with dirty dishes. And since I’ve already told you I didn’t cook much, you can guess that they’ve been there awhile.

  • I broke the digital camera.

  • I neglected the baby, who seemed to be so happy playing in that laundry basket and it was several minutes before I realized I hadn’t heard from her in awhile. (Insert very cute picture of Moriah sleeping in laundry basket... but, well, see above) Oh, and that laundry, while at least clean and folded, has sat in that same spot for several days.

  • I let the children watch television several times during the day. (We have cable now - shocking, I know!)

I feel terribly guilty for all the things I do wrong. Am I ruining my children?

Will I ever be that super Mommy? I doubt it, but I also doubt that worrying is the right thing to do. Lane is always reminding me of that. But it’s hard for us moms, right? We want the absolute best for our children.

We want to be the absolute best for our children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, my sink has been overflowing with dishes for two days now. We went out to eat tonight because I just couldn't face washing those dishes!

I often feel like I know the kind of mommy I want to be, but just can't seem to get there. But at least your kids will remember swabbing the decks, and won't even notice the sink full of dishes :)

Leanne said...

Who came up with the idea of the perfect mommy anyway? I would like to meet that woman! Then I would tie her upand stuff her in closet with a screaming infant. I would then find her partner in crime...the perfect woman... you know her...great job, great body, perfect hair, makeup, and clothes. She only eats salad and fruit! I believe she always gets 8-9 hours of sleep at night! I'd stuff her in the closet with perfect mommy and ship them off to the "LOST" island location. This is appropriate because they are part of a colossal conspiracy...THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE (oops...sorry, wrong show!)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

If you ever find that super-mommy or perfect-mommy, please let me know. I have a ton of questions and/or advice to ask of her!

I think the only thing we can do is give the best of ourselves, time, and love that we can. They'll be fine without the dishes washed, the laundry folded, or digital cameras. Hang in there! I think you're doing a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

Pssstttt... you ARE super mommy, hun! I've seen you & your sparkling cape in action & I am in awe of your super-powers!
As for the dishes? One quote from a book titled something like Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: "Leave the dishes in the sink & sit at Jesus feet."
Just breathe, hun.
Praying for ya!

Jen Rouse said...

Oh, girl, I know just how you feel!
This afternoon I've been working on balancing the checkbook/paying bills/budgeting all afternoon. Should I feel good for getting an important wifely task done, or like a bad mom for ignoring the kids while I did this task? We can all only do so much with the time we have!

P.S. Thanks for your comment over on my blog :)