Saturday, December 16, 2006

What a day!

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Yesterday was one of those days full of trouble that are quite comical - at least after it's over! I had a long ToDo list for the day as we were having an Open House the next day and I was hoping to get the Christmas letters mailed out. I admit I was distracted. My kids seem to use that to their best advantage.

First thing in the morning Moriah escaped behind me when I took the dog out. I heard her but it sounded like she was behind the storm door talking to me, but no she was walking down our driveway to the street!

On the positive side... thankfully she turned around and came to look for me to hold her hand.

Snack time
Then... being too busy to properly feed the kids breakfast, I brought a box of cheerios upstairs and sippy cups of drinks and let them have a picnic breakfast while I printed Christmas letters. It was all going well until Moriah got ahold of the box and emptied the entire thing on the floor! Matt immediately crouched down and started eating like a dog. The other two were shoveling them in like they hadn't eaten in weeks. Oh my!

On the positive side... they were well fed?

Then... when JD was suppose to be watching Moriah closed up in her bedroom as I sweeped up the cheerios mess, I turned and found her playing in the toilet water!

On the positive side... at least JD had flushed the toilet, which he rarely remembers to do!

Then... when I asked JD to explain why he was not watching Moriah, he locked her bedroom door behind him and I had to take the entire knob off to get it open.

On the positive side... at least a child wasn't locked behind it!

Then... JD begged me all day long to eat all sorts of sweets. There is just so much taste-good-but-horrible-for-you stuff this time of year. It's hard to negotiate with him every day about enjoying a little but not too much.

On the positive side... I had fudge for breakfast?!

Then... Matt was fiesty as all get out. He's been sick and instead of getting sleepy and cuddly when he's sick, he gets wild and wild and wild. So he required a lot of correction throughout the day.

On the positive side... he took a nice long nap!

Then... I finally took a shower and brushed my teeth at about 3 in the afternoon. I was unmotivated in the morning. I was just going to be cleaning and cooking most of the day and sick children just cover me in snot... so why get out of the pj's?

On the positive side... less laundry?

Then... When I went to take Dixie to the kennel in the afternoon, I was informed that she could not stay because she did not have the updated vaccinations even though I had just taken her to the vet a few weeks ago. So off to the vet we went again for a shot and then back to the kennel, making it just minutes before they closed, but wasting almost 3 hours of my day when I had so many things to do!

(Why were we taking her to the kennel you wonder? Well, for one thing she desperately needed a bath, especially since she thinks dog poop is purfume, and JD is wearing Matt's underwear because I haven't had time to get to the laundry, so bathing a dog is just not going to happen. Secondly, she is a dog that is very controlled by her nose. We didn't know how she would do with the Open House, with food set out on the table and people walking about with plates of yummy smelling must-eat-it-now food. God bless the kennel where they bathe her and love on her!)

On the positive side... Lane met me at the vet and took the kids home and had dinner waiting for me when I returned. I love that man!

Then... When I finally felt like I was finished for the day, JD tossed dog poop across the living room that he found in the recliner. Oh gross!

On the positive side... At least I'm glad he found it and not one of our guests today!

Then... Just as I was nodding off to sleep, Moriah started crying and continued off and on for the next two hours. She was begging and begging to eat the peanut butter balls that we were making, but peanut butter and chocolate are two things that really do not sit well with her. So I tried to distract her with Teddy Grahams... unfortunately they were chocolate chip... I thought just a little would be okay but I was proved wrong.

On the positive side... is there a positive to losing sleep? Maybe the cuddling was nice but I'd much prefer to do it during the daytime!

Well, there you have it. The Open House did go well today. Only a few people came which is just my speed. I get overwhelmed by large crowds and do better one-on-one. We had time to get to know a few guys from Lane's work and their spouses, which was my main purpose for doing this. But now I am tired. And so looks Moriah and JD (Matt already collapsed) so I'm off to bed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brought a smile to my face reading that!! What a day!! I always like to hear that other moms have days like mine!!!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Um...oh...my! You make me a little nervous to have another child join this family. It sounds like it was truly "one of those days". Peace be with you!!

Jen Rouse said...

What a day!
Re: the Cheerios picture--I sometimes just have to laugh and take a picture when Beth does something crazy and makes a big mess, but I'm beginning to think that's backfiring because the other day she got into the bathroom cupboard, threw maxi-pads all over the place, and then when I found her said, "Want to take a picture, mama?"

re: the staying in pajamas all day because you're just cleaning and stuff--I have so done that!

Glad to hear the open house went well!