Thursday, January 18, 2007

Restaurant etiquette

It's no secret that I love to go out to eat. Someone else to cook and clean for me is heavenly. My awesome husband does cook incredible meals here at home too but then there's all that clean up....

Yesterday the kids & I went out for pizza with a few other moms & kids after MOPS. We had 6 kids, ranging in ages from 2 to 4, sitting together at one booth. They had a great time, but it was a zoo. There were many "sit down", "get off the table", "don't hit your friend" and "stop waving your fork around" commands to give. Even so one of the other moms told me that I had well behaved boys (Moriah slept through the whole event). That was very kind of her.

We have had many interesting experiences at restaurants since we've become parents. The first I can remember is when JD was still small, barely able to sit up in a highchair and eat smashed up food. The waitress came by and complimented us on how perfectly JD was behaving and we beamed with pride. Then for no reason we could ascertain, he screamed his little head off for 20 minutes on the way home. We looked at each other in confusion - "what happened to that perfect child from a few minutes ago?"

A few weeks ago a waitress said we had the best kids she had ever waited on. We gave each other a knowing look thinking we should remember to avoid this place so as not to ruin our perfect record. A week later we were at a little pizza place with Matt crawling over the booths and JD climbing into the window sill. That waitress said nothing at all.

Last week I literally had to chase Matt in circles through a restaurant. Not that we condone that behavior but he had already sat at the table for an hour and he was ready for some business with his diaper so it was at least understandable. On that same visit, Moriah was shouting HI to everyone in the restaurant. I was trying to stuff her mouth with food and keep her quiet but it was not working. When I asked Lane "what do we do about that?" he replied "I guess we stop eating out."

I really wish I could tell you that we have our children trained to behave but the truth is that sometimes it goes well and sometimes we just have to rush out with as little damage as possible. We are still learning right along with the kids. Of course kids do need some training on proper table manners but part of it is just the age. JD is finally to the age that he will actually sit and do the mazes and drawings on the little kiddy menus. Matt scribbles a bit and gets bored. Moriah just eats the crayons. They grow. They learn. So do we.

We've learned that ordering the kid's meals right away really helps the beginning of the meal but if they finish before we even start eating, we may be getting ours to-go.

We've learned that highchairs with broken seatbelts are way too hazardous for Moriah's cute head and my delicate heart.

We've learned that trying to hold a squirming one year old in your lap is destined for failure.

We've learned that a one year old will pick up and eat anything she finds on the floor.

We've learned that a two year old who has not had a nap will not sit still for fear of falling asleep.

We've learned that bringing toys to entertain the kids is great but don't be surprised if they end up flying over to the next table.

Such valuable lessons. I'm sure there are more to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh yeah. Been there. Done that. Will do it again.

We actually did have a long phase after my husband's first deployment where we couldn't go out to eat AT ALL. This was before we had figured out that our second was mildly autistic, by the way. We were in the lobby of Red Lobster - not even seated yet- and he struck up some truly piercing screams. (he was about three) We just went home. For about a year we would just pick up take-out if we really wanted a particular meal. But thank God those days are mostly behind us. They are actually pretty good in restaurants now. Of course now that I put that in print.... ;-p

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That is the cutest post! Boy have I been there, too. It's when I get those condescending looks from coiffed ladies whose children "never did that" (or maybe they did, but it's just been too many decades) that I feel myself sweat a bit.

Most of our running days are over. Nowadays, it's when there's a sibling argument, then it's time to make for the exit!

Nice to meet you here - love your site and your joyous attitude!