I’ve already mentioned that JD is home with me for preschool. We have a curriculum from Sonlight, which we truly love, but we are rather… um… spontaneous, I guess would describe how we lack the ability to follow the schedule but love digging into it whenever it strikes our fancy. Personally, I think this is perfect for preschool. He’ll have plenty of time for structure and “have to do that even if you don’t want to” with school later, but for now he learns mainly through playing and exploring.
JD is so funny about preschool too. I always laugh when he tells other people, even random strangers, “I’m in preschool. At home!” He seems so very proud of it. I was discussing kindergarten with him about a month ago, telling him how we needed to decide soon about sending him to a school with a teacher or keeping him home. He replied with the most adoring look of love, “Mommy if I stay home, I’ll have a teacher, and it will be you!”
We are not against traditional schools, even public schools. We know amazing teachers. We know that great things can go on there. We value the input that other people can bring to our children. Just ask JD sometime about his Sunday School teacher and you’ll get an earful of praise and adoration. I love that he enjoys learning from someone else too.
Personally, I am a product of thirteen wonderful years in a Christian school. Lane is a product of mainly public schools. We turned out pretty well. Lane did anyway - he’s the super smart one. And amazingly this is the first time I have considered that our children are following in the footsteps of two valedictorian parents. No pressure there, eh?
Anyway, I wanted to give you a few of our reasons for homeschooling. This is not an exhaustive list, just some key things that we have discussed over and over.
- We are a military family which means moving often. Moving schools, friends, church, everything, every few years. We cannot change that. But we can provide the kids with a consistent education no matter where Uncle Sam sends us. I don’t know if this is a long term or short term decision. I don’t even know what state (or country) we will be living in two years from now. We will prayerfully consider the schooling options each time we move and decide from there.
- We can give individual attention to each child. We are observing and trying to find out what style of learning each of our children has. JD learns mainly by reading and asking tons of questions, so we have found a curriculum that focuses on a lot of reading. If we find it isn’t working for him, we can try something else.
As much as I loved my education, I do remember being a bit bored from time to time. I remember a math teacher in junior high sending me off to work ahead on my own for the remainder of the semester while he backtracked with the rest of the class. That exact class was what brought me to love mathematics, when I could do it at my own pace, teaching myself. - "Would you send a young child out as a missionary?"
This was a powerful question brought up by one of our friends. We cannot completely shelter our children from the world, but we can be right beside them helping them see God’s perspective through it. Believe me, just hanging out with the neighborhood kids has provided many an opportunity to see the world already. - Finally I will quote from two books because I like they way they explain it. There’s a wealth of information on the internet about homeschooling and many great books too, but I wouldn’t want to overwhelm you, like I am, so we’ll stick to just two.
The first is my all time favorite book about homeschooling, So You’re Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Welchel.
"Homeschooling is not necessarily the best option for everyone. But I do believe it is such a fabulous alternative that no one should reject it without first looking full into the face of it....
I understand what must be swirling around in your mind if you are even considering educating your children at home: Is it even legal? How much will it cost? Can I really teach my children? Will I ruin them for life? What about what I don’t know? What about what I don’t know I don’t know? Will my kids become social misfits? What will my mother-in-law think? Will I go crazy in the process? What if I need to work outside the home? Must I have twelve children, raise goats, and bake my own bread? Where do I start?
You’ve already started. Think about it. Who taught your child how to walk? How to use a spoon? How to go potty like a big boy? Did you send your children away to an institution to learn their ABC’s, count their ten little Indians, or speak in complete sentences? I’ve considered hiring a professional to teach my children to brush their teeth, clean their rooms, and get along with each other but I doubt it would yield any better results. What makes parents think that once our children reach the age of five, we are no longer capable of teaching them?"
The second is one of the books that influenced Lane’s decision about homeschooling, at least for the early years, Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson:
"Research shows that if immature boys in particular can be kept home for a few more years and shielded from the impact of social pressure, they tend to be more confident, more independent, and often emerge as leaders three or four years later.
If acquainting children with ridicule, rejection, physical threats, and the rigors of the pecking order is necessary to socialize our children, I’d recommend that we keep them 'unsocialized' for a little longer."
So there you have it. I am uncertain that I will have the organization and patience to make it really work. Being a teacher has never been a job that I saw myself doing, but isn’t God funny that way sometimes? He really has changed my heart on it over the years. I am finally excited and want to do this. I cannot believe how amazing it is already to help JD as he figures out how to read simple words. Even Matt amazes us with how much he is soaking up by listening in to the preschool time.
Children really are so amazing. I look forward to being here learning with them for just as long as God wants me to be, whether that’s one year or many more.


5 comments:
This is such a hard one for me too! For us, for now, Starlet is "learning" at home, with me. I wouldn't even consider it any other way until she's older anyways. I think the spontaneous schooling is perfect for the younger years. Their minds are constantly learning so why try to structure it this early?
But secretly? There have been days when all I can think is "That's it. You are sooo starting preschool!" But then I begin to think how someone else would have control of how her little mind is sculpted & the control-freak that I am will not have any of that! ;)
PS YEAH for Sonlight! I love them!
I am so with you on the spontaneous schooling :) It's great for now, but I also worry about how I am going to learn to be organized enough that we get work done once the kids are older. It's coming fast!
It sounds like you have put in a ton of thought and prayer into this decision and you've made the best one for your family. Quite frankly, my children will not be put into preschool either. Even though I work outside the home (I'm moving to part-time by the end of the summer), my children can still learn from us, their aunties, and my mom. We haven't even begun discussing beyond that but lean towards public schools.
PS Talk about a small world... My best friend is the HR Director at Sonlight curriculum.
Beth is only 2 and a half so we haven't started the serious discussions yet. But whenever we do have a discussion....we just don't know what to do! My husband was public schooled, Christian schooled and homeschooled; I was public and Christian so we have experience in all kinds of situations. We have friends with wonderful kids in all kinds of schooling situations. But it's still very hard to decide what would be best.
Homeschooling our children was always a debate in our minds also, until God settled it in our hearts. We homeschooled our 4 children - the first 2 we pulled out of public - our daughter after 3rd grade and our son after kindergarten. The last 2 kids were not in public school at all. Even though we questioned, God gave us peace, and told us to take it one year at a time. "Just do it this year and be faithful." I could handle one year at a time....looking beyond that was terrifying! Even in our weaknesses, God brought great grace and fruit. Our children are grown now, 2 are married. They all love Jesus and are serving Him well. They all are successful in college and work. It's not because I taught them like a college professor. We were so very spontaneous at times! Oh my! But God was so faithful to us.
As I tell my friends, God has all the grace in heaven that you need. So my encouragement to you dear sister, is to keep your eyes on Him and walk in obedience to whatever He calls you to do. Whatever you decide to do, it takes the prayers on your knees to keep your children close to Jesus. Blessings.
Post a Comment