Monday, May 07, 2007

Snippets of our weekend

There was an airshow here over the weekend. We decided to check out the night show on Friday evening. Lane found us a great parking space on the other side of the airfield, where we could see all the action but not have to deal with the crowds of people.

I was fascinated by the stunt plane. I mentioned that if any of our children chose that as a profession that I did not want to be invited to the shows. Those guys are crazy!

It was a 2 hour show so we took a little break in the middle to drive home and use the restroom. When we arrived back, it was dark outside and an airplane was flying about letting off fireworks. That was really cool, as I’d never seen fireworks launched from an airplane before. We saw a wall of fire and some awesome fireworks that seemed to be bursting right over our heads. Fireflies dancing around our vehicle added to the magical effect of the night.

As JD said, “I thought it would be boring at first, but this is great!”

-----------------------

Matt found a frog in our backyard on Saturday. It was a cute, little brown frog. There was much discussion between he and JD about whether it was a frog or a toad. I had no idea so we pulled out our animal encyclopedia and learned that a frog’s skin is moist and they jump, whereas a toad’s skin is drier and they walk. Matt was convinced, “he’s a frog because toads walk and frogs jump.” I sure hope that’s right.

Later that day I found Matt playing in the sand in the backyard. He looked sad.

“I can’t find my frog. Help me find my frog,” he said

“Where did you last see him?” I asked.

“He was playing in here,” he replied, pointing to the tee-ball stand.

I looked around it a bit then picked up the stand. “Oh, here he is, but he’s dead. Sorry.”

He was contemplating this. I walked away to go get the mail. (That kind of sounds cruel now that I am reading this, but we had a previous dead frog incident this week so we’d already been through it and I thought he understood.)

Matt came running down the driveway after me, with dead frog in hand and tears welling in his eyes. “Mommy, Mommy, take my frog to the doctor!”

“Oh, honey, I’m so sorry but the doctor cannot fix your frog. He’s dead.”

We sat down in the driveway and remained in silence for awhile. Finally, he decided to throw the frog into the grass and go on to other adventures, though he has been searching for another frog ever since.

-----------------------

On Sunday we went down to check out Fort Macon, a historic fort that was used in the Civil War and in World War II. It’s really cool, all built down into a small hill that overlooks the ocean.

First we went out to check out the beach and ocean. But we couldn’t stay long since it was very windy and the sand kept blowing into our eyes.

JD said, “A baby blew by and told me this is a hurricane.”

Not quite but winds were 40-45 mph. I'm amazed we didn't all get blown by.

3 comments:

Kenny and Jen said...

Air Shows are always fun... although I am a bit biased.

Sorry about the dead frog.. poor Matt :(

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

It sounds like you guys had so much fun at the air show. I've never been to one but Jon can't wait to take the family someday. Poor frog...

Sheree said...

those are good stories.
awww... sweet Matt.
I sure hope a baby didn't really blow by in the "hurricane"! ;)