I’m reading a fiction book set in the time of World War II. It’s fascinating to me to read about all the things they had to do without during wartime – rationing of gas and food and such. I can only imagine the uproar that would happen if rationing was implemented these days. We are all too comfortable with our American privileges.
I’ll be the first to say that I’m spoiled and I love it. It’s a great reminder for me to not take all the little things for granted.
However, I’m beginning to think this isn’t a good book for me to be reading right now. I’ve already swore off watching war movies, because with Lane in the military, it hits a little too close to home.
Though, as far as military jobs go, Lane does have a great one in the Navy’s Civil Engineer Corp. We live on a Marine base right now and I’m amazed at how long and how often these guys are sent away from home. In the 8 ½ years that Lane & I have been married, he’s only been on two deployments. He is also gone now and then for training but pretty much I have him home every night for dinner.
I’ll reiterate: I’m spoiled and I love it. Reading about husbands going off to war and living near families whose spouses are gone is yet another reminder to not take all that I have for granted.
Why am I telling you this? Well, since Lane is in the military, he can be called to leave anytime. I am aware of this. I did not understand the full implication of marrying into the military 8 ½ years ago, but I’ve grown to love being a part of the military community. Whenever we seriously discuss getting out, I’m the first to start hyperventilating and say “No way!”
But there’s a certain phrase that I am beginning to hate hearing: “So I got a phone call (or email) today…”
For the past several months I have heard this often, as Lane has been looking at going on short term overseas assignments, or as they call them: Individual Augmentation (IA) deployments. It’s been a back-and-forth discussion around here. One day he’ll bring home word that he has volunteered for an IA. The next week he’ll come home saying he isn’t going on that one anymore.
The very latest word is that he might (or might not) be leaving in just over 2 weeks. But if that doesn’t work out, then he might (or might not) be leaving in a couple months.
So with all this uncertainty here forgive me if I don’t post on this blog very often. Matt has had some very funny things to say lately but I haven’t gotten around to writing them down. Maybe after these couple weeks are over and we know whether Lane is staying or going, I’ll get back into it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Oh Joy,
I will be praying for you... I know that has to be really scary and difficult. I wish you were here so we could support you; but you are exactly in the place God wants you right now.
Keep us posted.
Love,
Leanne
I'll be praying! I know how hard it is to wait for word, and the mad rush of last-minute news...If he goes, maybe we'll all just come out and stay with you guys for a few days. We can keep each other company :)
Joy, That has got to be so difficult. It is so hard to live under uncertainty. You'll be in my prayers. I am glad you can keep positive about his military job and the life it has given you!
I don't think I could handle hearing that over and over again, nor the uncertainty of waiting.
BTW, I am spoiled too.
Post a Comment