Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I love...

I love this house.

I had this thought as I was playing with the kids in our backyard this morning. I was amazed that the swing set was shady and, while it was still too hot and muggy to be Fall, it was bearable in the shade.

I love living here.

As I’m pushing the swings, I pondered this thought a bit. Why would I think that? There are so many things that are less than ideal. Things like the mosquitos, the awful humidity, the distance from family, the quirky things that bother me about the house, the husband being away...

Overall, though, I truly do love it here. There are many good things here, in our home, in our neighborhood, in our city. Even though I experience occasional dissatisfaction, I do love this house. I do love living here.

Then I thought how this relates to motherhood.

I love being a mother.

I love my children.

Yet, there are those times when I wish I was doing anything but… Like this morning, for example, when Moriah insisted yet again to run about without a diaper. I want to encourage her. I really do. But she doesn’t get it. She sits on the potty but then makes her mess elsewhere. This morning, it was so not good.

When I step back and look at the overall picture, it is worth it. The children are most definitely worth it.

Snuggling with my sweet little Bethany is worth it.

Singing songs with my darling Moriah is worth it.

Playing on monkey bars with my energetic Matt is worth it.

Reading stories with my cuddly J.D. is worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is truly oh so worth it. Perspective is an amazing thing & I think yours is so blessedly centered!
PS You do the monkey bars??? You go, mama!! Nay, not I!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

A beautiful dose of perspective. It is so easy to get caught up in the complaints and not back up and see the beauty we have been given in our lives.

Blessings!