Saturday, October 13, 2007

What we've been doing

Lane's sister arrived two weeks ago. She is staying with us until the end of this month. I cannot believe that it worked out for her to be here for so long! We can really see that God's hand was making it happen, providing the right person to work her job for her and live in her room. It's amazing how it all worked out. She is completely spoiling me and the kids.

Christy and her three kids came to visit us last week. We've been friends since college and our hubbies, who are both deployed, are good friends from college too. It was so much fun to have our kids playing together and making up adventures. I really enjoyed having Christy around to talk with and encourage me. We didn't do much more than talk and hang out, though we did brave a trip out to the aquarium with all the kids. We hadn't been down to the aquarium in awhile and the boys really could of spent hours there. There is so much to explore and learn!

School is going fairly well for JD. It doesn't always work out the way I plan, but he is still learning so much. Children are such curious little sponges. He's gaining confidence in reading 3 letter words and that's fun to watch. It is hard though. For me, that is. There are so many interruptions from the other kids that I get frazzled some. JD's good at jumping back in when we get interrupted. I need to learn from him!

Lane is doing well too. JD & Matt have discovered that they can play computer games with him and they really enjoy that. They use the web cameras to talk together while they play. Last week Lane taught JD the "here is the church, here is the steeple..." thing using the web camera, and then the next day at church, they did that and it was so cool that JD had the "my Daddy taught me that" connection, even when Daddy is deployed.

I love having JD in church with me, by the way. We normally go to the early service, which doesn't have a children's church, only a nursery. Sometimes JD goes to play with Matt & Moriah in the nursery but usually he stays with me in church. I love listening to him sing or hearing his funny, yet thought-provoking, questions. He doesn't quite sit still, but I'm usually okay with that. We sit in the back so hopefully we don't disturb others.

Other than that, it is just life as normal around here. Lots of playing, learning, potty training and all. But like I said, Lane's sister is totally spoiling me so she does the laundry, the cooking and the dishes, which frees up my time to be with the kids more and get a few lingering projects done around the house.

2 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Loved this little visit with your family. I like having my older child in church with us too - they pick up more than you think!

You sound so encouraged in this email - so glad to hear it.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh - not email...post...not getting much sleep, remember? (ha ha)