Sunday, July 16, 2006

Adventures in Moving

The Navy has this lovely way of moving you around every couple years. I can't say I mind much, being able to explore the U.S. and live in different places. Don't think I would of ever left California otherwise. Not that I don't terribly miss California and all our family out there, but I do enjoy getting out here and learning about life in other places. I even think it would be absolutely wonderful to live overseas and experience an entirely different culture.

Since the Navy requires us to move, they provide the means, which is movers who come and pack up basically everything in your house, transport it to your new home, and carry it all in. I hear they will even unpack for you, though that only means they take it out of the box and set it on the floor for you to deal with. Pretty good deal overall, I think.

But I have this wonderful husband who is a great steward of our money. He sees every move as an opportunity for extra income. We get paid by the pound for whatever we move ourselves. So we have always taken at least a trailer full of things, which means packing boxes. That's been my life this week. Packing boxes. It didn't seem like there was that much to pack, just books and clothes and anything else nice and heavy. But packing with kids is quite challenging for me.

The boys were really excited to help at first, but they quickly lost their fire after the first day. Moriah was ever so helpful by learning to climb the stairs and the boxes. Wonderful, now she is really, really a handful.




J.D. is really excited about moving and has asked every day if we are finally going. This process is taking too long for him I guess.

Matt seems rather confused by all of it. One day he was upset about packing something, don't remember what now. I explained that we would get it back in our new house in North Carolina.

He shook his head. "No, Indiana."

"Yes, I love Indiana too, but we will love North Carolina too."

He paused for a minute.

"California?!?!"

That's a great idea, kid. Maybe someday.

4 comments:

Isaac and Christy said...

Good luck getting those boxes packed! It's definitely the worst part of the move. We've been here almost 6 months and we still haven't finished unpacking! The boys are adorable in the video :)

Jennifer said...

It sounds as though you and Jess are in the same "moving" boat. =) Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »