Saturday, November 17, 2007

Is he for real?

"What do you mean Santa isn't real?!" a friend exclaims, while looking anxiously between her sweet-and-innocent 3 year old daughter and my ever-the-realist 5 year old son. "Haven't you ever seen that movie, The Polar Express? He's real."

I gave JD a stern look. Oh, JD, you didn't. We talked about this! We agreed you'd say "Santa is fun," I thought but instead I said, "Yes, The Polar Express. Let's go read that book at home."

Moving on, please... she's so young... don't dash her hopes already...

After the friends left, I talked with him again. "Didn't we talk about other kids wanting to believe in Santa and how fun that is for them?"

"Yes, but he isn't real."

"I know, JD. But it's fun for kids to believe he's real. Don't tell them he's not real. Tell them he's just for fun."

Oh, how do I explain this?

"Like your future friend, Ahwea. He's real to you, right?"

"Yes, Ahwea is real to me."

"Well, other kids want Santa to be real to them like that too. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

At least until the next unsuspecting little child brings it up...

3 comments:

Christy said...

We haven't faced that yet, but I'm sure it'll happen at some point! I think Chloe wants to believe he's real, even though she knows he isn't!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Doh! Whoops!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh the Santa thing...man o man...mine still seem to "believe" though we do nothing with him.

My mother brought my daughter PJ's today and gave them to her (in person). After my mom left, she got so excited and told me, "Look what Santa brought me!"

Huh?